Photos copyright their respectful owners. Source link located at bottom of page.
Officials with the Chattanooga Market have announced a new event for the upcoming market season.
The Team Tennessee Teen Cook-off will be June 24 at the First Tennessee Pavilion.
A sanctioned event by the World Food Championships, the winning team (two students) will be awarded a golden ticket to the WFC even in Orange Beach, Alabama, a Lodge Cast Iron cookware prize package and scholarship funding to Virginia College Culinard Institute in Chattanooga.
Teens are encouraged to enter the competition.
Team Tennessee Teen Cook-Off is a cooking competition open to students from 9th to 12th grades, home-schooled teens are also eligible (age 15-18). By incorporating local foods from the Chattanooga Market, teen teams will face off in a timed cook-off. The winning team of the competition will receive a golden ticket to compete in the World Food Championship (WFC).
The organizations are looking for teens who are experienced, passionate and knowledgeable about food prep, cooking, safety practices, operating gas ovens/stoves and are comfortable demonstrating their skills in front of a live audience.
About the Competition:
- The competition is open to the entire state of Tennessee, however, only 5 teams of two will be selected by Chattanooga Market personnel after a review process.
- A team consists of 2 students: one captain (who fills out the application and is the main contact) and one student (9-12th grade) whom they choose to be their teammate. A teammate is not necessary to compete, a captain may compete alone.
- The Deadline to apply for the competition is May 1st. Final five contestants will be announced by mid-May.
- Only online applications are accepted. Please check your calendar for availability on June 24 before applying.
- By applying to the competition, you are giving permission for use of you/your teen’s photo and name publicly. This includes but is not limited to social media sites, magazine publications, newspaper stories, and local TV news stations.
- Teen teams should be prepared to make 6 portions of their entry at the competition. (One for each judge and the emcee.) The ingredients will be supplied along with standard pantry items at the time of the competition. However, teens will need to supply the rest. This includes pots, pans, plates, cooking utensils, etc. (much greater details is provided to competitors).
- Judges will score each teen based on use of local foods, taste, presentation, and creativity.
The Chattanooga Market will return to the First Tennessee Pavilion in April.
The market will open for the 18th season April 28-29 with live music, produce, artisan-prepared foods and more.
Most of the selection and placement of stories on this page were determined automatically by a computer program. Most articles are provided by Google News. For issues with any article please contact our Google News provider.